Instructions for Connecting the ELM327 OBDII Adapter to a Car
- Please, install the MotorData OBD application from the Play Store for Android devices or the App Store for IOS devices on your smartphone or tablet.
- Switch off the ignition (ignition switch position: OFF).
- Connect the adapter to the vehicle diagnostic socket.
The picture shows the possible locations for the diagnostic connector.
If an abnormal operation of the combination meter is detected after OBD-adapter was attached to your vehicle, there may have been discruptions in the operation of the respective systems. Be careful, the components related to traffic safety can be affected!
For instance, at some Toyota models, a constantly flashing ABS warning lamp means the activation of special diagnostic mode when the anti-lock function is disabled, which significantly affects safety!
Driving with the ABS cut-off is not safe!
Cause: at some Toyota models, the OBD-adapter shorts OBD-connector pins that assigned to the diagnostic mode activation. This mode is always activated immediately after the ignition is ON when the pins are shorted, it is not caused by MotorData OBD App, but by the “extra” contacts in the general OBD-adapter and the operation algorithms of the vehicle control units.
You can solve it in one of the following ways:
- remove the 13th and 14th pins from the OBD-adapter connector
- purchase a special adapter connector
- connect the OBD-adapter to the vehicle a few seconds after the ignition is ON or the engine is started. In this case, the control unit does not activate the diagnostic mode, and the ABS does not cut-off, but performing such a procedure every time the ignition is turned ON/OFF is not comfortable.
- Please, switch on the ignition or start the engine.
- Press the power button on the adapter body – the “rechargeable battery” indicator will light up. Note: on some models of diagnostic adapters, the button activation functionality is not included, although the button is installed on the body. The adapter turns on automatically when the ignition is turned on.
- Please, pair the adapter with your mobile device (set up connection). a)In the settings of your mobile device, select the type of connection Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, depending on the version of the adapter used. b) Turn on this connection.
- Please, launch the MotorData OBD app on your mobile device.
- Please, fill in the vehicle data in the “Profile” menu. This will allow you to evaluate the possibilities of the program for your car. The selected connection profile is displayed in the upper left corner of the main screen of the application.
- In the Settings menu under the Connection tab, please, select the type of connection Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
- From the drop-down list of available devices, please, select the name or MAC address corresponding to the diagnostic adapter.
- Please, click the “Connect” button. Full cycle connection will be made to the vehicle. The connection information will appear on the screen of the mobile device.
- Please, go to the main menu of the program by clicking on the “Back” arrow in the upper left corner of the screen. You can start using the MotorData OBD app.
- After completing the diagnostics, please, close the application.
- Press the power off button on the adapter body – the “rechargeable battery” indicator should go out. If necessary, turn off the ignition and disconnect the adapter from the vehicle’s diagnostic socket.
In some adapter models, the sleep function is implemented: 30 minutes after turning off the engine, when power is still supplied to the diagnostic connector, the adapter will go into sleep mode and will remain in this mode further until the power on button on its body is pressed again. The absence of this function is not a sign of a malfunction of the adapter.
Instructions for Using the MotorData OBD App
- diagnose various control systems (up to 25 electronic systems);
- read and delete diagnostic trouble codes; switch off indicators Check Engine (MIL), ABS, SRS warning lamps after troubleshooting;
- display the Dashboard and configure parameters;
- use your smartphone and MotorData OBD as an on-board computer;
- record and save current data, play back recorded data;
- monitor system statuses;
- read data of the freeze frame “Freeze Frame”;
- decode diagnostic trouble codes;
- display the current parameters in the form of a list or in graphical mode;
- in the “Car Handbook” section, get information about the dashboard indicators, towing rules, coolant, get acquainted with the operation of various systems of the car video encyclopedia.